Caplan Cobb Celebrates Its Third Anniversary
Caplan Cobb LLP, an Atlanta law firm specializing in business and complex litigation, is celebrating the end of its third successful year. During its third year, we achieved great results, added to our diverse set of clients, and grew our roster of attorneys and staff.
Adding to its diverse client base, Caplan Cobb represented:
- Fortune 100, 500, and 1000 and multi-national companies and in the financial services, retail, media, materials, and payment sectors;
- privately held companies in a variety of industries, including retail, pharmaceutical, hospitality, multi-family housing, media, technology, manufacturing, visual arts, logistics, banking, professional services, and private equity;
- multiple companies in the healthcare sector, including a publicly-traded consulting firm in defense of a class action, a medical equipment firm in defense of claims under the False Claims Act, and a pharmaceutical company in defense of business-tort claims;
- clients from all over the United States, including from Georgia, New York, California, Connecticut, Washington, D.C., Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio, and Florida;
- a variety of local and national non-profit organizations; and
- individual directors and officers, executives, business owners, lawyers, accountants, healthcare professionals, and trust beneficiaries.
On behalf of plaintiffs, Caplan Cobb lawyers:
- Recovered $3.25 million in premises liability case involving unique issues of discovery and apportionment (served as issues and appellate counsel in support of well-known trial litigation firm).
- Successfully pursued claims on behalf of CEO of North American subsidiary of international technology company seeking severance and buyout of CEO’s equity interest.
- Recovered $2.0 million, the full policy amount, in insurance coverage dispute.
- Represented numerous media organizations to enforce Georgia’s sunshine laws, including the Open Records Act.
- Secured settlement on behalf of CEO and shareholder of international logistics company resulting in our client securing complete ownership and control of company and its business interests.
- Recovered multi-million dollar interest in multi-family development on behalf of commercial real estate investor in dispute with business partner.
On the defense side, Caplan Cobb lawyers:
- On behalf of pharmaceutical company, defeated a motion for preliminary injunction in federal court seeking to shut down company’s manufacture of pharmaceutical product.
- Represented senior partner of international professional-services firm in defense of claims brought by the federal government.
- On behalf of investment firm involved in multi-state litigation arising out of breakup of technology firm, secured walk-away resolution.
- On behalf of a national bank, prevailed on legal and equitable claims by another national bank and secured recovery of attorney’s fees.
- Successfully deterred CFPB from taking action against corporate target of investigation.
- On behalf of publicly-traded consulting firm, successfully resolved economic damages class action resulting in classwide release.
In its third year, Caplan Cobb’s lawyers were recognized for their professional accomplishments. Partners James Cobb and Mike Caplan, senior counsel Amy Kelly, and associate Ben Cheesbro were selected by Georgia Super Lawyers Magazine as Rising Stars in Business Litigation. Caplan and Cobb were also named to Georgia Trend Magazine’s list of the “Legal Elite” in Georgia.
Pro Bono & Community Service
Caplan Cobb lawyers continued their commitment to community service by serving in leadership positions for a number of non-profits, including the Southern Center for Human Rights, the Wylde Center, the Episcopal Church of the Epiphany, the Fernbank Museum of Natural History, and PeaceRock.
Caplan Cobb lawyers also handled a number of legal matters on a pro bono basis:
- James Cobb, Amy Michaelson Kelly, and Brandon Waddell obtained injunction against Georgia Secretary of State’s voter registration ID matching system, re-enfranchising over 50,000 Georgia voters.
- Mike Caplan and Sarah Brewerton-Palmer are lead counsel in an appeal in the Georgia Supreme Court on behalf of Undisclosed, LLC, a well-known podcast, relating to the constitutional right of access to the courts.
- Brandon Waddell won an appeal on behalf of an indigent federal prisoner in a case involving claims under the Federal Tort Claims Act.
- James Cobb and Brandon Waddell filed a petition seeking information relating to the State of Georgia’s procurement of drugs used in lethal injections.
- Mike Caplan, James Cobb, Amy Michaelson Kelly, and Brandon Waddell represented an Iranian legal permanent resident in connection with a January 2017 executive order on immigration.
- Mike Caplan and Brandon Waddell helped secure the release of Justin Chapman, the subject of the AJC’s podcast, “Breakdown.”
New Members of Our Team
In 2016, Caplan Cobb continued to expand its team by adding two new attorneys and a paralegal.
Amy Michaelson Kelly
Amy joined us after practicing at Greenberg Traurig, LLP. She is a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Tennessee College of Law, is an alumnus of LEAD Atlanta, and was named as one of Georgia Trend Magazine’s “40 Under 40” outstanding Georgians for her professional achievements and contributions to community.
Sarah graduated magna cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School, served as a law clerk for Judge Jill Pryor of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, and has practiced with Jenner & Block LLP in Chicago and a business litigation boutique in Atlanta.
Senior Paralegal & Litigation Specialist
Will is a graduate of Davidson College and has spent his career at Greenberg Traurig, LLP in Atlanta and Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP in New York. His experience includes extensive work on complex litigation and e-discovery matters, including supervising other paralegals on litigation matters and managing large-scale document reviews.
Caplan Cobb is Hiring in 2017
Caplan Cobb is looking to hire an associate with two to four years of business-litigation experience. Experience as a federal law clerk is preferred. If you know of a qualified candidate, please call us at (404) 596-5600 or email us at email@example.com.
* * * *
We thank all of our clients, partners, co-counsel, referring attorneys, and friends for the contributions you have made to our continued success.