Notable Defense Wins
- Defending a publicly traded consulting firm, secured a pre-discovery, favorable settlement in a class action alleging fraud and economic damages arising out of the provision of medical services.
Joint Venture / Corporate Governance / Partnership Litigation
- As lead trial counsel for a pharmaceutical company, obtained a complete defense verdict following a multi-day trial.
- Representing a large financial services company, achieved a creative business solution in a dispute between joint venture partners.
- Representing a national bank against legal and equitable claims brought by another national bank, successfully defeated all of the plaintiff’s claims and secured a resolution requiring a settlement payment to the defendant, including attorney’s fees.
- Secured a complete dismissal of a defamation action filed against a Fortune 500 media conglomerate, local newspaper, and journalist.
- Successfully defended various officers, directors, and others in civil investigations brought by various federal government entities, including the Securities & Exchange Commission, Department of Justice, and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Real Estate Litigation
- Obtained partial summary judgment in a high-stakes commercial lease dispute filed against a national telecommunications company.
- On behalf of a brokerage firm, obtained a complete defense verdict following a week-long arbitration of securities-fraud claims.
- On behalf of an Atlanta-based securities underwriter, obtained an early dismissal of a securities-fraud action brought in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Successfully defended a TCPA action brought against a marketing company.
CRIMINAL DEFENSE / CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS
- Secured the release of Justin Chapman, who was wrongfully convicted of murder and arson.
- Successfully defended a state court judge in a constitutional challenge to state election laws.
"An absolutely top-notch lawyer."
"First-rate analysis, writing, and advocacy skills."
“Poised, relaxed, responsive, and articulate.”
“Wise counselors in disputes, and effective, successful litigators.”
"Highest quality of written and oral advocacy. Smart, thorough, and effective in the courtroom."
"Meticulous and incredibly thorough."
“Very highest standards of excellence, professionalism and public service.”
"An excellent lawyer who provides his clients with representation on the highest level."
"Took the lead on a complex appeal before the Georgia Supreme Court. . . . Professional, energetic, and effective in his presentation, and his writing and oral argument skills were outstanding."
“Quick and creative . . . work is of the highest quality . . . painstaking excellence.”
"Ethical, honest, and strong attorneys."
"Extremely comfortable in the courtroom."
“Approaches the law like an old war horse.”
"An outstanding trial attorney and advocate."
“James is one of the best lawyers I’ve ever tried a case with. He’s meticulous, very smart, has excellent judgment, and is unflappable in even the most difficult circumstances.”
"Really amazing legal work."
“Articulate and intelligent and maintained [his] poise through intense questioning.”
"Fantastic lawyer. Legal ability and professionalism are off the charts."
“I get briefed all day by people around the world, [Brandon’s briefing] was a model—among the clearest, most thoughtful, and most informative I’ve ever gotten.”